Tuesday 26 April 2016

Vada - Using Urad dal Flour | 250th Post

Well, I am publishing my 250th post.  When I initially made the list for A-Z recipes my choice for V was Vellarika Pachadi. But when I started scheduling the posts I understood that this would be my 250th post. So I Wanted something special for V. I searched for some kerala based sweets but was not successful in finding one from V. During the course of the Mega Marathon it stuck me that V for vada. But I have already posted medhu vada recipe in my blog.

When I saw these MTR ready made packets for making vadas, I read its contents. It basically had urad dal flour. That gave me the idea why can't I try vadas with urad dal flour. I tried and it was successful. Really not bad. The only problem I found was when the vadas cool down they became little hard. I gave these vadas to my friends and they didn't find any difference. They all loved the vadas. H was telling - the sponginess seems to be little less when compared to the traditional batter made vada. But I also feel since we knew that these were made from urad dal flour - we were trying to find 6 differences :-)

I guess there would be none in South India who are not in love with this donut shaped fritters. There are many forms of this which are famous Rasam vada, thair vada .... My favourite is sambar vada.
For making this vada, I fried the urad dal - just to make the dal crisp. Didn't allow the dal color to change. I powdered this urad dal and stored in an airtight container. Now over to the recipe.



Ingredients:

Urad dal flour - 250 gms
Rice flour - 25 gms
Water - 3/4 cup
Onion - 3 tbsp (finely chopped)
Cabbage - 4 tbsp (finely choped)
Ginger - 1 tblsp (chopped finely)
Curry leaves - few
Green chillies - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Oil - to fry the vadas


Method:


  • In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, onion, cabbage, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger, pepper powder and salt. Add about ½~¾ cup of water to make a very thick paste like batter. Add water very slowly, so that you won't end up with watery batter.
  • I kept this batter in fridge for about 30 minutes.
  • Just before making the vadas, add the baking soda and mix well.
  • Heat oil for deep frying. Apply water in your hand. Take lemon size ball of the batter, hold it in your four fingers, make it little flat using your thumb. Put a hole in the vada and slightly slide it into the oil. For the next vada again apply water in your hand and repeat the process.
  • Fry on medium flame until golden. Flip carefully and fry on the second side until golden. 
  • Fry 3~4 vadas at a time depending on the size of your pan. Repeat with rest of the batter.

Serve hot with chutney and sambar!!!



Notes:


  • You can use a ziplock cover also to make the vadas if you are not comfortable with your hands.
  • I added cabbage to the vadas just for a change, this can be avoided.








Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63








12 comments:

  1. Those vadas look so nicely fried and good..Nice choice for the letter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a vada day...vada with flour sounds great, perfectly fried, they are tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flour vadas have come out really good. Thair (dahi) vada is my favorite and recently new addition to the favorites list is rasa vada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is just watering here, that too with urad dal flour, interesting one and definitely handy if we have sudden guests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look exactly like the ones made with ground batter. Very inviting and love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your 250th recipe and many more to come. Great pick.. when you don't have time for soaking and grinding, this might be the best one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the mile stone. These vadas look so much like the ones with ground batter. Sounds very easy to make..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is definitely a short cut for Vada making. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vadas look delicious, congrats on the 250th post:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on completing 250 posts. Wish you many many more such milestones.
    Vada using urad flour are so convenient and they turned out just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vada looks crispy and appetizing.Congrats for 250th post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the way you made the vadas without having to soak, grind and ferment. Pinned this recipe to try it out soon :) And congratulations on completing 250 posts!!

    ReplyDelete