Monday 8 April 2013

Murungakai Kootu

We have a drumstick tree in our front yard. Every year I face with one problem. In the summer season , around 150-200 drumsticks are ready to be plucked at the same time. And I have a big challenge of using all these in the kitchen with in a span of 2-3 weeks. Even though I donate a lot of these and I make sambar daily I will not be able to use all the drumsticks. This time I found a recipe in subbuskitchen which helped me in spending most of the drumsticks. I made little modifications to the recipe to suit our taste.




Ingredients:
Drumstick - 10
moong dal - 100 grams
Oil - 25 grams
grated coconut - 50 + 20 grams
mustard - 2 grams
red chillies - 2 nos
cumin seeds - 2 grams
pepper - 2 grams
curry leaves - few
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
salt - to taste





Method:


  • Chop the drumsticks and boil the drumsticks.
  • I kept the drumsticks in a microwave safe closed bowl and microwaved for 8 minutes.
  • We can also boil the drumsticks in water or in a pressure cooker.
  • Cook the moong dal with little salt, turmeric powder in a pressure cooker until they are soft and mushy.
  • Take the 50 grams coconut and grind it with cumin, pepper into a nice paste.
  • Take each cooked drumstick piece and using a spoon remove the pulp.
  • Smash the cooked moong dal and mix it with the drumstick pulp and the ground coconut paste and boil the mixture.
  • In a kadai, pour oil and add the mustard seeds. Once mustard splutters add the red chillies, curry leaves and the 20 grams grated coconut. Fry until the coconut turns brown colour.
  • Add the fried coconut to the kootu.



Murungakai Kootu is ready!!! Serve this with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment